Oook, the title is a bit misleading. You do not actually want to eat this lotion, BUT it is all natural and safe in case the delectable cinnamon cocoa smell entices your infant to take a lick. It is hydrating for skin and hair, goes on a bit oily but dries beautifully. The mica adds a little glow too, which I adore.
1/2c Cocoa butter
1/2c Shea butter
1/2c Coconut butter
1/4c Almond oil
Mica Powder to your liking (or not at all. this is just for shimmer)
Jars with air tight lids to store it in
*To infuse just let the oil sit with a few cinnamon sticks for at least a week before making the lotion.
**For a stronger sent you could also infuse the whole 1/2c or skip the infusion and add 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil to the mix.
1. Set up a double boiler on your stove and keep at a simmer.
2. Add Cocoa, Shea, Coconut and the non-infused Almond oil to the bowl.
3. Stir constantly until combined.
4. Remove from heat and let sit on the counter until it returns to room temperature.
5. Whisk in essential oils or infused oil.
6. Whisk in mica. START SMALL. A little goes a long way and you can always add more. I suggest testing it on your skin to see how much is shimmers as it drys on your skin before adding more.
7. Place in jars. I thought I was being clever and I used a pastry piping bag, but as there are not additives in this to keep the texture consistent, it becomes almost liquid when it gets too warm and solid when it gets too cold. Piping it falls under the too warm category and its a bit messy, plus you loose some of your “whip.”
8. Again, because it is temperature sensitive, I suggest keeping it in a consistently 65 degree-ish location. Mine is in the bathroom so its loose after showers and in the summer but hard in the winter, but still lovely to use.
These make amazing gifts – especially for hostess or party favors – Enjoy!
These tutorials I found online for salt bath/foot soaks, lip and body scrubs go great with this lotion for gifts or if you just feel like pampering yourself. And for more awesome inspiration you can always check out my Pinterest page.